Why are we calling for new visions of learning, specifically for Next Level Learning, now?
- We need better metaphors for education and workforce development—ones that represent our collective 21st Century knowledge of how minds work and how learning happens.
- We must recognize the full spectrum of human potential and that the machinery of human learning and performance integrates cognitive with emotional processes and mind with body processes.
- We need to develop visions of learning that recognize a fuller capacity for what is learnable (for instance, that it is possible to learn about how our minds and bodies work) but that also recognize the inherent limitations; thus learners must be given central agency for growth and development.
- We need to view the process of shifting the populace towards this vision as a process of conceptual change that involves leaving behind outdated notions and adopting newer, more powerful ones.
- We need concrete examples and proof cases to help people to fully adopt the new vision and its implications.
- We need to better understand the textured and nuanced role that educators can play in human development; those who can do, teach.